Re: Checking internet connection without a winbox

From: "Les Mikesell" <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx>

On Sun, 2006-07-02 at 19:03, Dotan Cohen wrote:
On 03/07/06, jdow <jdow@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> That seems to indicate a normal enough delay. The site may be relatively
> overloaded. There is also a possibility that the actual machine at that
> address might simply be a fowarding address to a Google site in the
> US. That's about a 6700 mile (10800 km) sort of delay time difference.
>
> So far that shows no packet loss. I'd run the pings for a longer time,
> say 100 pings or so, and look at the summary. If there are zero dropped
> packets then Google should seem normally responsive to you.

Thanks, Joanne. The whole issue started because I feel that the web is
awfully slow on this machine. Clicking a link can take about half a
minute until a webpage displays. However, online speed tests show that
my connection is what it should be.

That's a classic symptom of having 2 DNS servers listed in your
/etc/resolv.conf with only the 2nd one actually working.

That's true if the delay is rather large. And once the site is cached
the browser can load subsequent pages rapidly. (It IS a good idea to
run at least a caching DNS server on your machine, though.)

{^_^}