Re: Checking internet connection without a winbox

On Sun, 2006-07-02 at 15:14, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 02/07/06, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I'd consider 'none' to be normal.  But keep in mind that you are
> > always testing the whole round trip even though it is only
> > reported as the path to something.  If something nearby is
> > dropping packets it is probably also responsible for the
> > ones reported on the path to more distant things.  Clean up
> > the problem with your router before looking anywhere else.
>
> Up until here, everything is clear. I also agree that the router
> shouldn't be droping packets.

Where is 'here'?  If you run traceroute you should see
each hop separately.

> > If you are dropping packets on your ethernet connection to
> > your own router, you almost certainly have a duplex mismatch
> > on the switch connection to the router or pc.
>
> Huh? Do you mean a twisted cable (I don't know how you call them in
> English, but it's the cable that you use to connect two computers
> together instead of computer-router) instead of a regular cable? I'm
> pretty sure that it's a regular cable, but I'll check that.
>
> > If it is on the T1 side, it is probably overloaded.
>
> For the time being, I've only one machine on the router. So I'm
> modem-router-linbox. Which side is T1?

I took your '1.5Mbs' connection to mean a T1 which would normally
be an interface directly on a router.  If you have a separate
modem, perhaps you have DSL instead.  Anyway, wiring problems
are rare but possible.  More likely is a duplex mismatch where
one end is set to full duplex and one to half.  Check that on
both the router and PC first. On the linux side, ifconfig will
show errors and total transmits/receives but you have to do some
math to compute bandwidth or you can run something like gkrellm
to show it as a graph.  mii-tool or ethtool will show the
speed and duplex settings.

> > Look for compromised
> > machines spreading viruses/spam or file sharing.
>
> The only machine on this network at the moment is this linbox. It's a
> week-old install at that.

Did you do a 'yum update' immediately after the install?  And if
you have ssh enabled and reachable from inbound connections, do
you have a complex password that would be difficult to guess?

> > Do you
> > have access to the router to see the interface statistics
> > for traffic and errors?
>
> Yes, I've access to the router, and I just enabled the log. It was
> apparently disabled until now. This is a home network and I've access
> to all the equiptment.

Try to find something that shows traffic and errors on the router
side.  And if the errors are on the next hop out past the router,
report that to your isp.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx