Re: Checking internet connection without a winbox

On Sun, 2006-07-02 at 20:17 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 02/07/06, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Run traceroute to various places and note where the delays or
> > dropped packets start.  Normally you will see a response from
> > every router in the path and the round trip time for three
> > packets.  Some may block the ports used or the icmp response
> > so a '*' response isn't necessarily a problem, especially
> > if it picks up on subsequent hops.  Keep in mind that the
> > time is for the round trip and problems can happen in either
> > direction.  If you see consistent delays or drops happening
> > somewhere, paste the traceroute into an email to your ISP.
> >

> Thanks, Les. I started doing mtr, and discovered that the router is
> dropping ~2% of the packets, the infrastructure is dropping ~14% of
> the packets, and the ISP is dropping ~8% of the packets. all the other
> hops are losing between 2% to 10% as well. What values are considered
> normal? Thanks.
>
> Dotan Cohen
> http://gmail-com.com
If you google internet transfer speed you should find sites that allow
you to test your upload and download speeds. I just did that and a site
with pitstop in its name, for example, provides that free service.

We all agree on the necessity of compromise. We just can't agree on when
it's necessary to compromise. -- Larry Wall