Re: New Motherboard Install

Don Maxwell wrote:
> On 6/30/06, John Austin <ja@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I have done this very thing this week.
>> New MB with the same CPU, memory and disk.
>> FC5 sorted everything out on the first boot.
>> I did use the same Graphics card though.
>> Magic
>
> What do you guys count as the "same CPU"?  Same physical chip or a
> general equivalent?
>
> Physically, I plan to change both the MB and the CPU chip.  However
> the old chip was a P4 and the new chip is a P4.  The speed and some
> other details will obviously be different.  I am choosing to go this
> route instead of making the jump to a AMD 64.  I am not ready
>
> Fry's special today is a ECS P4M800PRO-M w/Intel P4 506.  Admittedly,
> this is low-end compared to what is popular now, but is more than
> adequate for my needs and I think is the simplest MB/CPU upgrade path.

This usually counts as using the same CPU. If you were changing from
a Pentium to a P4, or from a P4 to a Core Dual CPU, that would be
changing CPU's. Changing from Intel to AMD or AMD to Intel may or
may not count, depending on the specific CPU's and kernel's
involved. Changing from a Pentium to a K-6 with a stock kernel is
not normally a problem. Changing from a K-6 to a P4 works, but you
do not get the full advantage of the P4. The only time changing P4's
would count would be in the old MB didn't support Hyperthreading,
and the new one did, and you enable it. (I have a Compaq that does
not enable Hyperthreading in the BIOS. One of these days I have to
figure out how to turn it on.)

Mikkel