Re: GNOME won't boot

On Friday 30 June 2006 06:20, dragontale wrote:
> I have a major problem. I can't seem to logon to GNOME. After I type in my
> password and hit enter, a message pops up saying:
>
> "There was an error starting the GNOME Setting Daemon. Some thing, such as
> themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly. The setting
> Daemon restarted too many times. The last error message was: Child process
> did not give an error massage, unknown failure occured. GNOME will still
> try to restart the Settings Daemon next tiime you log in"
>
> Then it gives me the option to "close" the popup box. So I then hit close.
> After that it starts loading for about 12 minutes and then everything goes
> blank. When I say "loading" I mean that the "fedora core" sign comes up and
> then a picture of icons appear. Sound fimiliar?
>
> As soon as it loads for about 12 minutes or so, it stops and everything
> goes away(including the fedora core sign) and the only thing that is in
> front of me is a mouse pointer, nothing else.
>
> After that I just waited for about another 15 minutes or so to see if it
> would take me to my desktop but it didn't.
>
> The last thing that I did to the computer was uninstalling "Glade Interface
> Designer" I'm positive that I didn't uninstall anything that was related to
> GNOME. Anyway, after uninstalling Glade Interface Designer, I tried to go
> into terminal but it failed. So that's when I restarted the computer. Then
> that's when I received the above error message when trying to log in, as
> you can see.
>
> As of now, I have no idea what to do to fix this. I will take any
> suggestions. Am I toast?

Hi, the simplest thing to do is to create another user, and then try to logon
as that user. If X shows OK, then you can try to clear Gnome related
directories in your home dir or copying ones from the newly created user. The
directories are such as: tmp, gconf, gnome, etc. Don't forget to chown them
to yours.

http://linux2.arinet.org
10:07:18 up 1:46, 2.6.17-1.2139_FC5 GNU/Linux