Re: GNOME won't boot

dragontale wrote:
I have a major problem. I can't seem to logon to GNOME. After I type
in my password and hit enter, a message pops up saying:

"There was an error starting the GNOME Setting Daemon. Some thing,
such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work
correctly. The setting Daemon restarted too many times. The last
error message was: Child process did not give an error massage,
unknown failure occured. GNOME will still try to restart the Settings
Daemon next tiime you log in"
The last thing that I did to the computer was uninstalling "Glade
Interface Designer" I'm positive that I didn't uninstall anything
that was related to GNOME. Anyway, after uninstalling Glade Interface
Designer, I tried to go into terminal but it failed. So that's when I
restarted the computer. Then that's when I received the above error
message when trying to log in, as you can see.

As of now, I have no idea what to do to fix this. I will take any
suggestions. Am I toast?

It is possible that something that was used in gnome-sessions was not removed when the interface designer package was removed.

Something that I would try is to remove the files under ~/.metacity/sessions and see if things work again. You also might renaming the ~/.gnome* directories and the ~/.metacity directory to see if gnome will come up with the default settings.

Probably the safest thing to try is to create a new user and see if the new user account works to launch gnome.

Someone else might have a better idea. I doubt gnome is toast.

Also, SELinux might have some influence on you having the problem. You might switch to a virtual terminal, logged in as root and run
setenforce 0
Then switch back to the login GUI and try to launch gnome again. What setenforce 0 does is to log but not prevent actions not allowed in the security policy. Having a mislabeled filesystem (security content) might cause such an error.

I hope this gives you some ideas to try.

Jim

--
Never trust a computer you can't repair yourself.