Re: Exchange Connector / Evolution 2.6.2 Problem in FC5

On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 16:45 +0200, Andreas Wahlert wrote:

> There is only one Problem. Evolution 2.6 crashes randomly. I have
> googled for this but i have no solution found.
> There is a dirty hack with gtk2 libs. But this don't works for me. i
> can't find the described gtk2 (2.9.1) version

I see this as well and have seen it for more than a year.  And the
really annoying aspect is the non-repeatability.  So far, I've been
unable to construct an example (say, a particular email being composed)
that causes the crashes to happen repeatably.

For me, the following things seem to increase the likelihood of crashes:

 - running evolution for a long time -- and even when
     it doesn't crash this usually causes evolution to
     take a long time (2--4+ minutes at 100% CPU usage)
     to shut down cleanly

 - composing emails that have a lot of parens () and
     quotation "" characters, particularly quotations
     that are nested within parens and involve editing
     (moving the cursor around within the parens and
     quotes and adding/deleting text)

If there is some way to provide more precise debugging help, I'll be
happy to try and contribute...

Ed

ps - I use evolution for all my mail (hundreds to thousands per
     day) and have encountered these crashes about 1+ times
     per month.  So its not frequent but it does seem to happen
     every few weeks.  And I can decrease the frequency of
     the crashes by completely stopping and restarting evolution
     more frequently (say, every few days).

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.