Re: Fedroa Core 5 Java

On 6/28/06, Chong Yu Meng <chongym@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 18:35 -0700, Jeanette Russo wrote:
> Can someone please help me troubleshoot why my
> broswers are not using Java vm.
>
> I installed the RPM's from Sun and they installed fine
> and I can see them load when the machine boots.
>
> But neither Firefox or Opera are using the java.
>
> I am a kind of new user returning after being away
> from Linux for the last 4 years
>
> Thanks

Hi Jeanette,

You still need to setup a symbolic link in order to get the Java plugin
working in your browser:

1. Locate the plugins directory for your Firefox. It should be something
like /usr/lib/firefox-1.5.0.4/plugins

2. Locate the Java plugin in your Java distribution. The filename should
be something like libjavaplugin_oji.so. I'm not sure where this file is
located for Sun's Java, because I never use it on Linux. Anyway, the
general location should be /path/to/java/jre/bin/

3. Create a symbolic link:

# ln -s /path/to/java/jre/bin/libjavaplugin_oji.so \
/usr/lib/firefox-1.5.0.4/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Use /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins directory to hold the links, e.g.

# ln -s /path_to_java/jre/bin/libjavaplugin_oji.so \
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

The /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins location is better because the
Mozilla.org browsers (Mozilla, Firefox, and Seamonkey) look there for
plugins and you will not have to recreate the link when Firefox gets
upgraded.

4. Restart the browser and in the address bar, type: about:plugins

5. You should see the Java plug-in registered there.

Hope this helps!

--
Pascal Chong
[snip]