question about yum update, graphics packages

I just tried my first 'yum update'. The list of packages to be updated included 'gtk2' and 'mesa-libGL', but the system that I'm updating was installed without an X server. Aren't those graphics packages?

I am just curious as to why they would have been included during the install process. My impression was that 'yum update' would only update packages that are currently installed on the machine - is this correct? PS I'm not an anti-GUI fanatic, I'm just curious :-)

Thanks very much...