Re: pros and cons of separate filesystems

Keith Hunt wrote:
I'm looking for a little advice on setting up FC5 on a brand new machine. I
am pretty sure some of you folks don't mind giving advice...

I have always configured *nix systems with the standard (well, OK, sort of
standard) set of separate filesystems, trying to predict how much space I
will need for each. It usually works out OK albeit with some wasted space
here and there. Once in a while I have had to repartition things and that is
obviously a pain.

Are there any compelling reasons to do that anymore or should I just make
one big partition? I am talking about a couple pretty big SATA drives in
probably a RAID 1 configuration.

I habitually use separate partitions for / /boot /home /usr /var /tmp and sometimes /usr/local. I will start adding /srv next time I do a clean install.

The big advantage of the single filesystems is that the space is always available where you need it.

For me, the major advantages of the separate filesystems are:

1. The root filesystem hardly grows at all, so no matter what happens elsewhere, the root filesystem never fills up, and the nasty problems that come with that are avoided.

2. If you use LVM, it's much easier to add additional space to non-root filesystems than it is for the root filesystem. You can just unmount them, or in the worst case, reboot single user and the resize them whilst they're offline. With a single filesystem, if you want to resize it (e.g. to shrink it to try out another OS on the same disk, or to grow it into free space or another disk), you'll need to use the rescue CD if ext2online can't help (and that's quite often the case).

Paul.