weird sound problem fc5

Hi folks,

I am running FC5 on a HP nx9420. The FC5 correctly detects the sound
card as an Intel 82801G (ICH7 family) sound card.

Here is my problem...if I plug in headphones, I can hear the sound great
(through the headphones).  However, I can't seem to get it to play out
of the computer speakers.  I have tinkered with the alsa mixer and muted
the headphones too, that makes no difference.  Additionally, in gnome,
the volume control is tied directly to the headphone control only.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Richard B.