Re: several discrepancies with new -2139 kernel.

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 07:02:56PM -0700, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> On 6/26/06, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> >>>

> >If the name of the device has been changed from wlan0 to wifi0, why was
> >there not a notice of that change ON THIS LIST?  And what would I need
>
> huh?  You have a rather bizarre sense of self-entitlement.  You
> changed drivers.  You assumed that the interface used by both was the
> same.  Is this list responsible for providing you with personalized
> notification of everything that is relevant to your own circumstances?

Lonnie, that isn't what Gene said. He did not say that if he changed
drivers, he should be notified of differences. He said that if the
device mysteriously changed names (with no intervention on his part),
he should be notified. In the first case, I'd agree with you; in the
second I'm not so sure.

> >to change besides the name and contents of ifcfg-wlan0 file, made triply
> >difficult by that file existing in 3 seperate locations via hard links.
> >  It took me about a week to discover this and figure out a way to
> >actually make a change in the MAC address to take globally.  What I
> >think of that isn't printable...  But it would be nice if one knew which
> >file of the 3 was the actual master copy so we don't waste hours, even
> >days redoing such an edit & then looking at the log to see the old MAC
> >address still being used.
>
> I'm not sure which 3 separate locations you're talking about.  The
> only place I ever touch is /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*

[root@dragon rpms]# locate ifcfg-eth0 | grep -v .old | xargs ls -il
734119 -rw-r--r-- 3 root root 208 May  9 14:37 /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0
734119 -rw-r--r-- 3 root root 208 May  9 14:37 /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-eth0
734119 -rw-r--r-- 3 root root 208 May  9 14:37 /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
[root@dragon rpms]#

However, as the three file names share the same inode, changing one
will change all. That is the defined behavior of a hard link. So while
it's a bit odd, I don't think it's any big deal.

The hard linking may also explain why the profiles in
system-config-network aren't work anything.