Re: XEN: Giving guest complete control over NIC(s).

Gilboa Davara wrote:
Hello all,

I'm installing Xen on a machine with multiple Gbps NICs that I'm using
for driver development.
Is there a way to give the guest complete control over a number of these
NICs without having the host to route/bridge the traffic to the guest?

Yes.

1) use "lspci" to determine which PCI slots the network cards occupy
2) Hide them from dom0:  in dom0's grub.conf add "pciback.hide(xx:yy.z)"
   to the kernel boot parameters. e.g.
     "module /vmlinuz-2.6.16-xen ro root=/dev/vg0/fc4 \
     "pciback.hide=(aa:aa.a)(bb:bb.b)"
   Multiple slots may be hidden by adding additional parentheticized
   slot info.  *Don't use quotes* inside the parens.
3) give the selected pci slots to the domU by adding a corresponding
   line to its config file: e.g into /etc/xen/vm1 add:
     "pci = ['aa:aa.a','bb:bb.b']"
    Multiple slots are given within the brackets, *separated by commas*,
    *quotes are required* within the brackets.

As of 3.0.2 exported pci slots crash domUs when when trying to automagically save/restore domUs using xendomains or the other tools. They will require clean boots.

Hope that helps.

If it's impossible, what's the expected performance hit in handling raw
Ethernet traffic within the guest OS?

Gilboa