Re: timer broken (was Re: fc5 hangs)

[snip]

David,
How do you update the BIOS in Linux environment?
Well, I must admit, I turned to the dark side for the
BIOS update.  I downloaded an exe named 2ajt51a.exe
from IBM's web site and formatted a floppy disk from a
Windows computer and then ran the exe file from that
computer to make the disk a bootable BIOS upgrade
disk.  I didn't trust wine since I'm #$%ing with my BIOS.
Then I transfered that disk to my Linux-only ThinkCentre
computer and did the upgrade.  Make sure you
download the BIOS compatible with your particular
ThinkCenter computers.

I have two IBM thinkcenter and both are messing the clock up. no ntpd running and I have stopped all but essential services. Still, my system clock falls behind as much as 11 hours in 24 hour period and makes the system unusable. when it gets to this point, doing multiple "date" command shows that the clock is moving backward and forward.
Try looking at /proc/interrupts to see if it's incrementing
slower than 250 Hz.  That was the telltale signature of my problem.  I
never noticed the date go backwards... only forwards too slowly.

Good luck...

         David