Re: duplicating an installation

After you do your dump/restore, assuming you are using grub, you can use
grub-install:

  grub-install --root-directory=/media/disk --recheck /dev/sdc

Where "/media/disk" is where the new drive is mounted, and "/dev/sdc" is
the new drive (change these to reflect your system).

You will probably also want to label your new partition as
"/" (check /boot/grub/grub.conf and /etc/fstab to see if you need to
label the partition, and what the appropriate label is):

  e2label /dev/sdc /

Again, replace "/dev/sdc" with the appropriate drive.

-Jeff

On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 10:31 -0400, Jeffrey Ross wrote:
> I know I saw in the archives messages regarding duplicating or backing up
> a complete system to another disk but I was unsuccessful.
>
> Here the scoop, I have a disk that is failing, of course its a single disk
> system with multiple partitions (/ /boot /usr /var and /home)  I want to
> duplicate the whole disk onto another disk.
>
> Bringing the machine down to single user mode and doing a dump/restore to
> a new disk is easy enough, however how to I re-install the boot loader?
>
> does anybody have a step by step procedure to do a system recovery from
> one disk to another?  right now there is no CD rom or floppy drive on the
> system, I can install one if need be but would rather avoid it if
> possible.
>
> TIA, Jeff

__

Forward Engineering LLC