Re: missing keys on yum update -- evolution-data-server

Joel Rees wrote:
Want to ping the list on this (copied by hand because I yummed from a virtual console instead of X11):
-----------------------
warning: rpmts_HdrFromFdno: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 4f2a6fd2 Public key for evolution-data-server-1.6.2-1.fc5.1.i386.rpm is not installed
Retrieving GPG key from file :///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora
Importing GPG key 0x4F2A6FD2 "Fedora Project <fedora@xxxxxxxxxx>"
------------------------
I found the key and fingerprint at
    http://fedora.redhat.com/About/security/
after some indirect searching and checked that the fingerprint and random pieces of the encoded key match.

What's the issue here?

Well, I had to drag my Mac Mini over next to the AMD box so I could look at the ID and the public key referenced and then look them up to check that I was letting the installer add a valid key. No big deal really, just thinking that perhaps that particular key should have already been in yum's pre-imported keys.

The key wasn't already present in your rpm database (have you never done "yum update" on this system before?)

Fresh install. evolution-data-server was something like 170th of 320 packages being updated in the first sweep. Missing a pre-imported key, same-old same-old, and I'm sure that when I get my hands free to go look it up on bugzilla, there'll already be a bug or two for it, just wondering if it had caused any noise on this list yet. Besides, missing keys are not something one should keep hush-hush.

, so yum imported the repo GPG key from the file already on your system from the initial install (/etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora) as it is configured to do by the repo file /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo. It then used the key to verify that the downloaded evolution-data-server package was intact and actually an official Fedora package.

Yeah. That's what it's supposed to do when the key is not present.

It just seems a little strange that RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora was missing from yum's collection of pre-imported keys. (That and I was really tired at five this morning when yum complained, so having to take the three minutes to drag the Mini over felt a little bit like an inconvenience, GOL. I've got to get some sleep tonight.)

Yum, or rather rpm, has no pre-imported keys at all. Every one of them is installed as a resutt of some post-installation action, such as running a "yum update". The keys are supplied out-of-the-box in the fedora-release package, but they're not pre-imported into the rpm database.

It's possible that, for whatever reason, the evolution-data-server package was the first one yum tried to check the GPG signature of when you did the update, since all of the updates packages should be signed by that key.

Paul.