Re: Changing the Bootloader from GRUB to LILO

On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 10:11 -0500, Matthew Benjamin wrote:

> On 6/1/06, Rick Stevens <rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>         On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 13:40 -0500, Matthew Benjamin wrote:
>         >
>         >
>         > On 6/1/06, Clint Olson <colson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>         >         Rick Stevens wrote:
>         >         > On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 09:45 -0500, Matthew
>         Benjamin wrote:
>         >         >
>         >         >> Can someone tell me how to change your boot
>         loader from
>         >         GRUB to LILO?
>         >         >>
>         >         >
>         >         > Good lord, why?  Grub is FAR more capable than
>         LILO
>         >         It's also a bit more complex to configure than
>         Lilo.  I know
>         >         that I
>         >         personally prefer Lilo, where you can simply and
>         easily edit
>         >         its single
>         >         configuration file by hand, using the
>         familiar /dev/hda1
>         >         syntax to
>         >         denote partitions.  I've never run into anything
>         Lilo can't
>         >         handle, so
>         >         why work with complexity if you don't have to?
>         >
>         >         *shrugs* Ah well.  I can see this guy's point, but I
>         also know
>         >         that
>         >         there are no Lilo packages for FC5, hence removing
>         Lilo's
>         >         simplicity
>         >         advantage.
>         >
>         >         Clint Olson
>         >
>         >         -
>         >
>         > grub  wouldn't be so bad  but I can't get pass the stupid
>         grub>
>         > prompt to boot up.
>         >
>         > i have done the
>         > install --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 (hd0,0)/grub/stage1 (hd0)
>         \
>         >          (hd0,0)/grub/stage2 p (hd0,0)/grub/grub.conf
>         >
>         > to no avail... augghhhhh!!!
>
>         There's two ways to do it.  1) Boot off the rescue CD in
>         single user
>         mode, then:
>
>                 # chroot /mnt/sysimage/boot
>                 # grub-install /dev/hda
>                 # exit (leaves the chroot environment)
>                 # exit (exits the rescue boot)
>
>         2) Use grub, but the easier sequence is:
>
>                 grub> root (hd0,0)
>                 grub> setup (hd0)
>
>         That assumes that the the stage1 loader is in /boot/grub and
>         that /boot
>         is NOT a separate partition.  If you're not sure, use the
>         sequence:
>
>                 grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
>                 grub> root (whatever-the-find-command-displays)
> [...]

That's why the list exists, Matt.  Glad to help.

- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
- grasshopotomaus: A creature that can leap to tremendous heights... -
-                                                ...once.            -