Re: starting fetch mail when system boots up

Ed Greshko wrote:
Don Russell wrote:
Ed Greshko wrote:

[snip]
Don't use fetchmail....but couldn't this be done just as easily as a
cron job without using daemon mode?
Why not use fetchmail? What do you recommend?

Ooopss  mistype... "I don't use fetchmail..."  sorry.

np :-)

Yes, I suppose it could be done via cron... but my view is, given the
frequency of use why spend all that time loading the program, just load
it once and let it run... if the memory pages are needed it will get
swapped out... I figure use the features of the product... it supports
daemon mode and so it's reasonably intuitive how to change the frequency
(period) of polling the various pop3 accounts.

Then go the rc.local route...  Many ways to slay the same cat....  I
guess the little time needed to load programs on my system doesn't
bother me.

Sounds like rc.local is the key I was looking for :-)