Re: Download/sales/usage statistics?

Kwan Lowe írta:
my wife writes her essay on product and promotion relationship
on a freely chosen subject and she chose Linux. Specifically,
she would like to select one version of a distribution and collect
sales or download statistics during its lifetime. Is it possible
to find such info about e.g. Red Hat Linux 9? It's old enough,
it has reached EOL officially. Or about a later community distribution,
such a Fedora Core 3, which is also EOL.

I'd expect that sales information for FC3 would be almost entirely useless since it

Yes, I know that. :-) That's why I asked about RHL9.
(If a Red Hat insider would drop me a mail, that would be nice.
Thanks in advance. ;-) )

However a download/month statistics about FC3 ISOs
during its lifetime would roughly be enough if only
a goodwilling admin of one of the high volume mirrors
would provide me with this info. Multiplying it with
the number of mirrors worldwide would be a good approximation.
My wife desperately needs these numbers to back her essay. :-)

was not a "commercial" product. For RHL9, my gues is probably 10% of usage was
bought or downloaded from RedHat itself and the rest was copied or on mirrors. There
are some surveys that might give you some information. E.g.:

http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT2127420238.html

Thanks, good chart. Although it represents a minority of a minority.
(Linux users who also reads http://www.desktoplinux.com vs number of actual answers.)

The uptake of Linux reminds of a scene in Frank Herbert's "Dune". At one point they

Great book it is, indeed.

are debating just how many Fremen are on Arrakis.  The problem is that they're all
in the deep desert, not likely to participate in any census, and seem to be
multiplying out of sight. That their numbers were grossly underestimated by the
powers-in-charge was no surprise. :D

Oops, I haven't though about it that way. Good analogy. :-)

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi