Re: A FC6 suggestion.

On Fri, 2006-05-05 at 15:11, Mauriat Miranda wrote:
> > Yes, you can work around the problem with quite a lot of
> > extra trouble, assuming you understand what the problem
> > is in the first place.  Now remind me why I want to have
> > this extra trouble in the first place.  Why should a machine
> > refuse to boot just because you add an extra drive?
>
> I see now, 2 drives at the same time is key point. I agree with your
> point, booting should be possible. Curious: why not just make the grub
> configuration use device ID's instead of labels?

The problem that labels were supposed to fix is that scsi drives
are named in the order that they are detected.  If you add or
remove drives, or one fails, all the ones with higher ID's change
names and if you add a controller that is detected before your old
one they can all change.  Labels sort-of fix this if you only
have one installation on one machine and never swap parts (but
then you didn't have much of a problem in the first place).  The
real solution is that if you are going to use labels they should
be unique to the installation.  Or, scsi devices could be named
so they are identified by their controller/ID/LUN instead of
detection order.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx