Re: very odd STOR to OR FTP issue

A while back, ahall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> We have a very odd FTP problem and are totally flummoxed as to what
> the answer might be. I'm hoping someone here can help.
>
> We're repeatedly seeing this error delivering files via FTP...
>
> [CRITICAL] [Interface::Ftp::send] Could
> not put file.xml on connection test - 500,OR not understood
>
> And when running an strace see this...
>
> write(9, "STOR file.xml\r\n", 29) = 29
> rt_sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, [PIPE], [], 8) = 0
> rt_sigaction(SIGPIPE, {SIG_IGN}, {SIG_IGN}, 8) = 0
>
> rt_sigprocmask(SIG_SETMASK, [], NULL, 8) = 0
> select(16, [9], NULL, NULL, {120, 0})   = 1 (in [9], left {119, 903000})
> read(9, "500 OR not understood\r\n", 1024) = 23
>
> So it seems as though we're sending a STOR command but clients are receiving
> an OR command - which they don't understand. Is STOR becoming
> truncated somehow?

This is somewhat weird. We've just recently started seeing a very
similar set of problems in our FTP logs. In our case, the client is an
AIX box, using the standard AIX ftp client. The server (not under our
control) reports it's running a WU ftp on SCO (sorry!)

In our case, the problem is with the PORT command getting truncated
(which obviously doesn't help matters!) And it is the "PO" of "PORT"
that is getting lost -- the same two characters.

> N.B. This all used to work fine until I rebooted our firewall the
> other day. As far as I am aware, this is the only change to our
> system, and we're almost positive the problem lies there. We're
> thinking that something - a module maybe - either isn't running, or
> isn't running correctly, or is configured incorrectly.

What brand is the firewall?

> Has anyone seen something like this before, or have any ideas what
> might be wrong?

We haven't a clue, to be honest. I was hoping that we could find
something in common.

Thanks for the report, anyway. It's nice to know it's not just me...

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Banana in disk drive error
@westexe.demon.co.uk  |