Re: fc3, fc4, fc5, grub

Chuck Sterling wrote:

> A month ago I tried to replace (not upgrade) fc3 with fc5 on my 1.7Ghz
> P4 PC. It used grub to boot fc3 or WinXP Pro, and worked fine with fc3.
> When I installed (not upgrade) fc5 I had it install grub. After, the
> system would get to the point where it displayed "GRUB" and stopped. Not
> a prompt; the system was locked up and would not answer the keyboard.

Not really an answer to your problem,
but it seems to me there is a very strong argument
for having a separate /boot partition
which is left alone when you upgrade or install.

In your case I wonder if grub was confused about the disks?
I'd try running Knoppix or Fedora in Rescue mode
and say "grub-install --recheck /dev/hda" or whatever.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366