Re: Yum - Removal of dependant packages.

On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 08:18:21PM +0930, Tim wrote:
> ded:
> >> Does Yum not remove dependant packages or did I need to do more than
> >> Yum remove <package>?

> Paul Howarth:
> > You need to remove the dependent packages yourself. The rpm database
> > does not contain any information on which packages are installed as
> > dependencies, so there is no way for yum to know what to remove.

> When you install a RPM, the package lists what it depends on
> (dependencies in the other direction).  A program could automatically
> ask about removing them, when you try removing that package.

IMHO a package manager should automatically remove any dependencies
associated with the package being removed *if* removing those
dependencies doesn't interfere with another package.

> While that's not in the RPM database, but in the RPMs themselves, it
> ought to be do-able - at least with packages that don't have
> dependencies upon dependencies.

FC5 is the only rpm based system I have on my computers here, so I
don't know how other rpm based systems handle this situation. I
guess I need to read a bit more on the subject. I do know, in my
case, that not having a package manager that handles removing dependencies
costs me more time than I have available to maintain this machine.

Kind Regards,
BOFH excuse #148:

Insert coin for new game