Re: speed of FC5 vs next Ubuntu

"D. Hugh Redelmeier" <hugh@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Not a very analytical statement.  Does anyone know if this is true?
> If so, why?

One question that comes to mind is this: Does Ubuntu support SELinux? If
yes, was it enabled? If no, did they turn it off in FC5 too?

I have read that FC5 is noticeably slower with SELinux enabled than with
SELinux disabled, almost to the point that the speed improvement in Gnome
2.14 is wholly consumed by SELinux. I have SELinux disabled on my home
computer, and it is much faster than FC4 (also with SELinux
disabled). Login from GDM to a usable Gnome desktop takes about two
seconds, and starting Firefox takes less than one second.

Regards
Ingemar