Re: Is wireless support any better with FC5?

> > I've also tried two PCMCIA cards, a DLink DWL-G650 with the Atheros
> > chipset (I've never got this to work)
> Did you install the madwifi driver? rpm.livna.org has rpms.

I tried madwifi several months ago and could not get much working. I was
trying the DLink and Broadcom cards at the time.

> > and a CompUSA card with an unknown chipset (doesn't work either).
> Try running
>   lspci -v
> in a terminal, as root, with the card plugged in. The card should be
> listed there and you might be able to figure out the type of its
> chipset.

I did lspci, but not with the -v. With -v I get:
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.: Unknown
device 8185 (rev 20)
        Subsystem: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.: Unknown device 8185
        Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 201
        I/O ports at 4000 [disabled] [size=256]
        Memory at 68800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled]
[size=1K]

> In general, I'd say don't give up so fast. If I got WPA2 to work with
> my one nic, you should be able to get WEP working with three of them ;-)

"don't give up so fast" doesn't really apply in this case. I have fought
with this thing A LOT in the past, especially WEP. Once I got it to a
point where I could at least connect with the internal broadcom card,
without WEP, I just accepted it. But now I can't get it to connect
anymore. The DLink router was replaced, but my laptop configuration
stayed the same. Wireless on Linux has by far been my biggest
frustration.

I'm going to look into a driver for the Realtek 8185 card, but I won't
hold my breath.

Thanks,
James