Re: Can anyone explain the use of init3

Les Mikesell wrote:
On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 11:45, Craig McLean wrote:
[snip]
You might want to go to runlevel 3 to change X drivers, which you
wouldn't want to do with X running.

Actually, I'd quite like to be able to do that with X running, although
I suspect there's not much demand.
Actually I suspect that many people would like to be able to do this,
but I also suspect that switching a running X instance to a new hardware
driver on the fly is as close to impossible (given the current design of
X) as makes no odds.
There is, perhaps, slightly more mileage in the idea of maintaining
window manager state across X restarts. That is, keeping the desktop the
same while X restarts underneath it. Again this is (AFAIK) unimplemented
rather than unfeasible.

Doesn't ctl-alt-backspace kill X sufficiently to restart with
new drivers without any of the other changes a runlevel switch
invokes?

Yes, if you're really confident that the new drivers/config are going to work. If they don't work, gdm will loop for a while trying to restart X, which will keep crashing, and you'll have to wait until gdm gives up before being able to try to fix the problem.

Paul.