Re: livna vs. nvidia

Paul Lemmons wrote:
I have read the "Why use livna" page for the Nvidia drivers. It tells me
that maintenance is easier. That is cool but it does not really tell me
what the difference is. I am currently running the drivers as
distributed by Nvidia and am about to upgrade my kernel. So, I am
considering switching to the livna drivers. Before I do that, though, I
would like to know what I am doing.

What is the difference between the two? Is the livna just a repackage of
the same software I get from Nvidia or is it something different?

The livna drivers are indeed a repackaging of nVidia's closed source drivers, so that they are easier to install and do for you all the necessary configuration and adaptation to be compatible with the rest of Fedora. The kernel module is built against each stable kernel that is released. Since it's already built you don't need kernel-devel to install the driver.
-Dan