Re: Can anyone explain the use of init3

On 06/04/19 10:47 (GMT-0400) jdow apparently typed:

> From: "Ingemar Nilsson" <init@xxxxxxxxxx>

>> "Chris Linton-Ford" <chris.lintonford@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>>> When I try to drop from runlevel 5 to 3 in FC5 by doing a 'sudo init 3', the
>>> X server quits but the init process gets stuck after the following:

>>> INIT: Switching to runlevel: 3
>>> INIT: Sending all processes the TERM signal
>>> Starting readahead_early: Starting background readahead: [ OK ]

>>> [ OK ]
>>> Starting irqbalance: [ OK ]

>>> Is there any way to drop to runlevel 3 without rebooting?

>> After running init 3, try changing your virtual terminal, using CTRL-ALT-X,
>> where you substitute X with one of the F-keys in the F1-F6 range,
>> e.g. CTRL-ALT-F1.

> Just type a return. It's not stuck. It's funky, instead.

AFAIR, this is a misfeature of every RPM distro I've used. Where would
be the upstream to complain/reportbug to?
--
"Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but
rather expose them."			Ephesians 5:11 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409