Re: speed of FC5 vs next Ubuntu

#1. Create website with troll-like remarks
#2. Fill pages with pay-to-see adverts, and get urls posted to slashdot.
#3. Profit!

 > On page two, he throws out the comment:
 >
 >     Performance with this release was very good. It's been a while
 >     since I reviewed Ubuntu 5.10, but it feels faster to me. Call me
 >     crazy. It definitely outperformed Fedora Core 5 on the same
 >     machine. Hands down.
 >
 > Not a very analytical statement.  Does anyone know if this is true?
 > If so, why?

It's completely lacking any quantifiable results, and is entirely
subjective to "feel".  Blind tests have shown people can sometimes
'feel' one computer is faster than another even if they have
exactly the same spec, and same software loaded.

Describing "Performance" as an overall thing is completely bogus.
Disk IO performance ? Memory throughput performance? Bootup performance?
App startup performance ? Network throughput performance?

That review is a complete waste of time IMO.

		Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk