Re: OT: ADSL safe practices and setting up a home network

On Fri, 2006-14-04 at 14:43 -0400, tfreeman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Apr 2006, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
>

> > > But then I have two D-Links, and I'm very happy with both.
> >
> > Folks advocating those consumer firewall / NAT boxes might be
> > interested to read this.
> >
> >            http://people.freebsd.org/~phk/dlink/
> >
> <<snip>>
> > Note, I can't see the value of running one of those under-powered
> > boxes as a firewall.  Why?  It uses the same software firewall that
> > fedora does.  Why not run the firewall on a more powerful box like
> > your main computer?
>
> To answer your question, sort of, "Because I mess up my more powerful
> machine on a semi-routine basis." Mind you, I try to keep a firewall going
> on that more powerful machine also which should be fairly tight also, but
> I figure one reasonable firewall backup with a second firewall created a
> different way should be moderately resistant to automated attacks.

Layered defences are definitely the best method of protecting your
systems. Even at home I have a hardware firewall, but it is
supplemented, by hardening the machines and installing software
firewalls on each one as well. Since I don't use the wireless on my
router I disabled it and put a shielded terminator in place of the
antenna. I have intrusion detectors and other monitoring systems in
place as well. I am not saying my computers are totally secure,
but I don't have any confidential info on them. I don't pay any
bills or do my taxes on any of my machines, and my email is not
all that interesting, I can promise that.:^(