Re: pirut aggravations

Eugen Leitl wrote:
So I'm spending about a man-day of my quality time klicking on
these pirut package checkboxes (while all I need is the install-everything button, or at least meaningful selectable package clusters which aren't
mutex on dependencies -- there are not very much such clusters, btw).

Turnaround time of an update is some 10-15 minutes.

I try to do one letter of the alphabet at a time. I'm
not succeeding, though, see below.

Startup time is an eternity. The damn thing should cache,
and only refresh from the depositories, if explicitly asked to by user. I'm not sure it's deleting already downloaded packages
by default as some others have reported -- if it does
that, it shouldn't.
Well, there at least should be an option for it, as in yumex. Took about a minute to start up just now after I cleaned my yum metadata, usually takes less, perhaps it does save metadata. In my experience, it definitely is deleting downloaded packages, which should also be an option, as in yumex.
Clicking on checkboxes takes forever to register.
Athlon 64 2 GHz with nVidia accelerated drivers might be
not a speed demon, but this is just unacceptable.
Don't have that problem on my Pent M 2GHz or A64 2GHz. Weird. Do you have an old graphics card? Though still shouldn't be a problem.
Unchecking boxes when there's a conflict doesn't
result in a rollback. This is a *major bug*. It
requires me to memorize the conflicts, and quit
and restart the package from scratch. This is by far the biggest baddest bug in pirut, so it needs fixing first.
Agreed, it needs work on its conflict handling.
The conflicts are frequently inconsistent on restarts.
Whether this is due to package mirror inconsistencies,
it should not be my problem.

When you're done, pirut just quits. So I have to wait
another 10 min for a new startup. Wrong behaviour, please
fix.
I believe this is already in the works for the next update of pirut.
If this wasn't for above behaviour (which totally drives
me up the wall), it would be a totally sweet tool.
As I've noted above, give yumex a try, it's much further along in development, you might like it better. Takes a lot longer to read in the metadata though, cause it is very meticulous, but at least 0.99 is a lot more streamlined graphically than 0.44 was. And you can always turn off the refresh at startup.
-Dan