OT: ADSL safe practices and setting up a home network

I'm looking into entering the 21st century and need some help finding out how to go about setting up an ADSL connection at my home. Can anyone give me some good novice references for what is required for a safe connection in the way of cable modems, routers, hardware firewalls, and how this is all connected?

Any pointers gratefully accepted, and feel free to email me directly.

Thank you,

--
--R
/Linux, and Open Software, an alternative./