Re: [Flame Bait] - Linux as bloatware

Gene Heskett wrote:
On Monday 10 April 2006 00:05, John Wendel wrote:
Food for thought,

http://news.com.com/Negroponte+Slimmer+Linux+needed+for+100+laptop/210
0-7346_3-6057456.html?tag=nefd.lede

* BOSTON--The One Laptop Per Child organization will use Linux on its
inexpensive machines, but the operating system suffers the same code
bloat as Windows, the project's leader said Tuesday.*

"People aren't thinking about small, fast, thin systems," said
Nicholas Negroponte, chairman of the One Laptop Per Child
<http://dw.com.com/redir?destUrl=http%3A%2F%2Flaptop.org%2F&siteId=3&o
Id=2100-7346-6057456&ontId=1001&lop=nl.ex> nonprofit association, in a
speech at the LinuxWorld Conference and Expo
<http://news.com.com/LinuxWorld+not+just+for+Linux+fans+anymore/2009-
7346_3-6056446.html?tag=nl> here. "Suddenly it's like a very fat
person (who) uses most of the energy to move the fat. And Linux is no
exception. Linux has gotten fat, too."

Regards,
John

Well, he could put cp-m on them I suppose, or freedos maybe...
Talk about setting the 3rd world back to the stone age.

It's only fat from the general user standpoint. Anyone with ANY sense can slim it up to virtually nothing but their own personal essentials. [Real flame bait ahead!] Which is why I've become a big fan of gentoo. I don't think I could build a tighter setup for myself with any other OS. OTOH, it does take a while to compile everything, so I use FC for the machines I am not so keen on compiling everything.

--
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415