Re: Azureus open ports - security problem?

On Sat, 2006-04-08 at 00:18 -0500, Laurence Vanek wrote:
> Azureus is a different matter.  Apparently I need to open the firewall
> to expose certain ports for it to work.  Otherwise, I get the infamous
> "NAT problem" when configuring it.  If that is the case,  isnt this a
> security problem with port(s) open when Azureus is not in use.

It's a potential security problem, but only while Azureus *is* in use.

> Surely not many are going go thru an open & close port cycle after every use of
> Azureus.

An open firewall port is only a problem if something (like Azureus) is
listening on it, and has exploitable flaws. If nothing is listening then
no one can connect to the port and do harm.

Cheers
Steffen.