Re: Checking Dependencies

On Sun, 2006-04-09 at 15:20 -0400, Dan wrote:
> Paul Howarth wrote:

> >> rpm -q --requires packagename
> >>

> > That tells you what a package depends on, not what packages depend on
> > it.
> >
> > Paul.
> >

> True. I meant rpm -q --whatrequires packagename . Though I've had odd
> experiences where this command hasn't returned everything it should have.

Perhaps not everything you might expect anyway. There are multiple ways
a package can be a dependency, and this query only reveals one of those
ways.

Suppose you have a package A, which "provides" libA.so.1 and also
contains the file /bin/A

rpm -q --whatrequires A
will only show you the packages that have an explicit dependency on A
It won't show you the packages that have a dependency on libA.so.1 or
the file /bin/A

To get a full list of things that depend on package A, you'd need to:
rpm -q --whatrequires A
for everything listed by "rpm -q --provides A", do:
	rpm -q --whatrequires $thing
for everything listed by "rpm -ql A", do:
	rpm -q --whatrequires $thing
You'd then need to repeat that for every package named, and so on until
no new packages turned up.

The easiest way to find out what'll be deleted if you want to remove a
package and everything that depends on it is really just to do "yum
remove package" and be ready to answer "n" when prompted for
confirmation.

Paul.