FC 5 and kernel module problems

I'm starting to see a lot of problems with kernel modules and
gcc 4.1.0-3. I'm running 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 and I have several
kernel modules that I need to add (some part of the kernel and
some not). An example is a Moxa 8 port serial card (mxser.ko).
If I try to load it I get:

mxser: falsely claims to have parameter verbose

If I look at the source code verbose is defined. In fact to get
the module to behave I have to add to one of the functions
(usually I add it to the init function) something like this:

if(verbose != 0 || verbose != 1) {
  verbose = 0;
}

Note that I haven't add a declaration but that takes care of the
gcc optimization from removing the verbose variable.

Anyone have an idea what's going on?

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site