Re: Upgrade without CD/Floppy?

Is it possible to go from FC3 to FC5 using this method?

On 4/7/06, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've done yum upgrades on 3 different systems. All ended up fine.

1. Go to RPMS for FC5 and look for the rpm fedora-release. Install
that manually.

2. Run

yum update yum

to make sure you have the newest yum.

3. Run

yum update

That will take about 30 minutes to download a list of all packages and
their interdependency information, then it will ask you if it is OK to
proceed. If have seen it
go faster if run during the middle of the night on a 100baseT
ethernet, while a "cable modem" system took longer than 30 minutes.

If it can find updates for all of your RPMs without breaking any
dependencies, it will ask permission to start downloading and
installing.

It will probably find some RPMs in your system that it does not
recognize.  If that happens, the yum program will exit, but it will
tell you which RPMS you currently have that it can't manage.  So go
ahead and remove the trouble makers manually, and run yum update
again.  As soon as it is able to square out all update dependencies,
the download and install will take about 2 or 3 hours.

I promise this has worked on 3 different systems for me.

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science