Re: ./configure command

Boris Glawe wrote:
Joao Paulo Pires wrote:

Hi Cameron,
Thanks for your answer.
I'm a end user for FC4. The real problem I have is each time I want try some program from CDs ou DVDs from magazines, they advise to install with './configure' and 'make install'. Is there any other possibility?
TIA, Joao.
_

Never do this, though it is recommended. With the final comman "make

"Never" is a very big word. There are quite a few bits of software
which are not provided via RPMs.

install" you might probably overwrite existing files which are neede by other applications.

Q: What is there about RPM which guarantees that this won't happen?
A: Nothing.

With fedora you have the command yum. This command connects to the internet and automatically fetches rpm packages from mirror servers.

Yes, for those packages which are available in that way. Not all are.

[snip]

 From now on you can at any time run commands like

yum install xine*

which will install all packages for the xine videoplayer.

Please tell me where I can get a copy of GCC built as a
cross-compiler for my new-fangled GRZ-BLATT 923 microcontroller
available as a RPM.

Certainly, for those packages which are available as RPMs it
is preferable to use those. But in the case where one needs
a package which is not supplied in RPM form, or when one
is trying to find/repair a defect in software and is adding
some debugging code, what you suggest is not feasible.

Or do you propose to offer a tutorial on how to make an RPM
without using the development tools?

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.