Fedora 5 installation experience

I purchased a 5 disk X86 install disk set and installed Fedora 5 as a update to
Fedora 4. The install ran to completion , but the  screen menus were cut off at the top and bottom of the screen. As a result I  decided to try a clean install
of Fedora 5.

So far my experiences with Fedora 5 have been less favorable than with Fedora 4.

I have encountered the following problems:

If I select additional packages and run a custom installation
the install process aborts after reporting missing or corrupted files
(  Valgrind-calgrind and pam-devel ?) on disks three and four. This error occurs even though
the initial disk validity check reports that all disks are good.

If I select the default installation the installer only uses  the first 2 disks and the
install runs to completion.

After installing with the default configuration  ( office productivity tools only)
I attempted to add additional applications using the  Add/remove software
tool found on the screen menu.  This application reported that it could not find
the software and aborted the process.

The only way I have found to install additional applications is by manually running the rpm program and trying to guess which packages are needed.

There is also a problem with the NVIDIA 3-D graphics driver. It was necessary to upgrade the linux kernel to a newer version in order to get the video to work  properly.

I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or if there is a problem with
Fedora 5.

My computer seems to be mostly working now. However, it does not seem to
be noticeably improved over the previous Fedora 4 release.

It would be nice if the installer could skip over bad packages and continue trying to finish rather than rebooting causing me to waste about 3 hours of my time.