Re: {Spam?} Re: IMAP (cyrus or ?) or POP (dovecot or ?)

On Sunday 02 April 2006 19:46, Dan Thurman wrote:
> What I was actually looking for in retrospect, was
> that I wanted to setup rule based filtering so that
> when a message arrives inbound, the rule-based filters
> would route the messages to the proper in-house email
> server and yet intermally to the email server in particular
> to deliver the message to the proper user defined email
> folders using the IMAP structure.
that would be an MTA function IMHO.
i.e. something like postifx/sendmail/exim would re-route mail on receipt
to the relevant internal server (which also need an MTA running on it
and listening for connections)

> As I have it right now, I have exchange as my main central
> email repository and I have to have at least one of my Outlook
> email clients open (i.e. running) so that when it pop's messages
> (IMAP or POP) from a remote email server, the user-defined rules
> examines the message headers and moves the message(s) to the
> user defined email folders for better management/organization
> of thousands of messages received inbound.
>
> Is there something like this available for Fedora (linux) so that
> I can be weaned away from depending solely on Exchange?
>
> Anyone care to comment?
server-side filtering?
yes. We can do that.
Three things spring to mind immediately
procmail
maildrop (not shipped with RH IIRC - part of the courier MTA) and
sieve (part of cyrus IIRC, not yet compatible with dovecot/postfix.
Unless you want to roll you own from CVS)
all do this kind of thing. But mostly require users to write their own
rules in language that will look very cryptic to beginners.
as for client integration, well that's a whole different kettle of fish.
All three of these use their own filtering 'language' but can be driven
by web-based frontends.

Having said that, I have had several different mail clients doing
client-side filtering on IMAP folders. I have no idea if Outlook can do
this with a non-exchange server. I would hope so.
Many linux-based clients can.

Regards

Stuart
--