Re: Software Raid 5 (FC5)

Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 20:38 -0600, Ian Pilcher wrote:
>>
>> Using LVM to create a single virtual device out of the md devices may
>> make sense, *if* you trust pvmove, which the LVM HOWTO claims doesn't
>> work.
>
> I *don't*. When I add drives to a RAID5 array, I back-up -everything-,
> delete -everything- and rebuild the array from scratch.
> Doing work on RAID live array (with no backup), -even- if you are
> working on another partition is a big no-no in my book. Single
> mistake... single twisted IDE/SCSI/SATA cable tends to be a career
> altering mistake ;)

As I've learned to my sorrow, no amount of RAID will protect you against
a misplaced 'rm -rf'.

I would love to have a *real* backup of my music collection.
Unfortunately, by "real" I mean some sort of relatively stable media
that can be put in a safe deposit box or something -- i.e. a USB disk
drive is out.  To the extent that I've looked, tape solutions are just
too damn expensive.

Ian Pilcher                                        i.pilcher@xxxxxxxxxxx