Re: Problem with accents on mounted partitions

Paul Smith wrote:
> When I mount, from FC5, a partition of FC4 with the command
>
> mount /dev/hdc1 /mnt/fc4
>
> I get 'm\341tica' as the name of the directory 'mática'.

and:
> Thanks, Kostas. In fact, I am mounting a Linux partition and *not* a
> MS Windows one.  The  accented word is written in Portuguese.

In that case, you've changed your charset between FC4 and FC5. Linux
does *not* store the charset in which filenames are encoded, nor yet
expect that they will be in UTF-8 or ISO 8859-x (or anything else): it
just stores filenames as a bunch of bytes. User-space is responsible for
displaying them according to the appropriate charset.

Take a look at /etc/sysconfig/i18n on both machines, and run
echo $LANG
set | grep ^LC

It's possible that you've got (or have had) an old .bashrc or something
that dates back years which sets $LANG or $LC_* to something else.

Hope this helps,

James.
--
E-mail address: james | "We completely deny the allegations, and we're
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | trying to identify the alligators."