Re: NX bit: AMD vs Intel?

Gilboa Davara wrote:
> Actually the message will only get displayed on i386 kernels, not on
> x86_64 kernels (running on both AMD and Intel platforms)
> I'd assume that the reasoning for dropping the printk's on x86_64 is
> simple:
> NX on i386 is pretty much limited to rather recent machines; all/most
> pure i386 CPU core do not support it. OTOH, most x86_64 CPU core support
> NX out of the box.
> To cut a long story short... if you're on x86_64, you most likely have
> NX. No need to say/display/printk anything about it.

Actually, NX on x86_64 *predates* i386 NX support:
http://lwn.net/Articles/87814/.

So the message was added on the platform which could benefit from the
message, and it was never ported back to x86_64.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "I would like to apologise to the relatives of the fan
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | who gave me 29 books to sign in Odyssey 7, Manchester.