Re: broadcom wireless

--- "Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"
<wolfgang+gnus200603@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Josh Coffman <josh_coffman@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > ehm... i use 4318 with 2.6.16, and absolutly no
> real
> > problem
> > (sometimes i must bring eth down, up, down to put
> in
> > monitor mode, but
> > hey it's work!).
> > I read this ml to stay updated to release and
> news,
> > but if i can help
> > ask without problem.
> > The card works for Florian and me, so seem like
> the
> > drivers is good,
> > but some config broken it....
>
> In my case I don't see any eth1 show up, so I can't
> even
> ifconfig down/up the interface.

I tried the bcm43xx driver last night. The device name
I saw was wlan0.

> > You may need to build the bcm43xx driver from more
> > recent source. maybe even use their fwcutter util
> > pull the softmac info out of the windows driver.
>
> While the laptop came with all the ms-windows stuff
> (and the wireless
> works under ms-windows), I don't know enough to even
> find the broadcom
> firmware.  Heck, I dont' even know what they call
> their find(1)
> utility (or if they even have one).  Any hints what
> the pathname of
> the firmware file would be or how I go about finding
> it?

Under windows, use the windows key + f and it should
bring up the file search util. In case you don't know
which key is the "windows", it is usually just to the
right of the left CTRL on a typical 101 keyboard.

It's been a while since I messed with it but the files
your looking for should be in the %windows%\system32
path (assuming it not win64) That path usually is
c:\windows\system32 or c:\winnt\system32

For my broadcom, the file starts with bcmwl5. You'll
want the .inf and the .sys(? .dll) files. I had them
on a driver cd.

You may want to look here:
http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/drivers.php

In scanning it wuickly, I didn't see the bcm4318
driver. But you can probably google it.

> The
> bcm43xx-fwcutter README files assume the reader
> understands more about
> ms-windows than I do.
>
> To the firmware I used the url's at the bottom of
> the one README.
> fwcutter didn't like some of the files claiming they
> were too old and
> it couldn't extract some firmware element.  The
> firmware from
> http://openwrt.inf.fh-brs.de/~nbd/wl_apsta.o seemed
> new enough that
> fwcutter got all it needed, but perhaps that
> firmware wasn't quite
> right either.
>
> -wolfgang
>
> --