Re: newbie: howto install mplayer codecs

Nat Gross wrote:
On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 17:48 -0500, Nat Gross wrote:

First off, I do not know what options to use.

Generally, I've not had to use any.

Secondly, for each movie type I will have to use diferent parameters?

I haven't had to do so.  "mplayer something.avi" "mplayer something.mpg"
"mplayer something.mov" have all worked just as simply as that.

Third, its not part of the gui any longer; can't right-click and
choose 'play in mplayer'.

There should also be some sort of mplayer-gui package (or command, it
might be included in the base package).  I haven't installed mplayer the
way that you did, though; but it works in the same way once installed.

Hey,

the only parameter you have to give is the filename of the movie you wanna
watch: mplayer moviename.mpg -> thats all....

why not using mplayer in the gui? you can open it should be soemewhere in
the multimedia section of gnome...it doesnt seem that you installed the
gui... yum -y install mplayer-gui, this should make it available in

gnome too...

Ok. It works via 'mplayer <filename>' and that includes avi files
(something that didn't work before for me).

However, I am having gui problems. Besides not appearing in the
right-click menu, entering just 'mplayer' should bring up a gui.
yum is having a problem installing the gui:
-------------------
Running Transaction Test
Finished Transaction Test
Transaction Test Succeeded
Running Transaction
  Installing: mplayer-gui                  ######################### [1/1]
error: unpacking of archive failed on file
/usr/share/mplayer/Skin/default: cpio : rename

Installed: mplayer-gui.i386 0:1.0-0.37.pre7try2.lvn5
Complete!
It said complete!. Nada.
By the way 'ls /usr/share/mplayer/Skin/default' shows 0 files.

thanks
nat

The gui version is named "gmplayer".

Regards,