Re: fc5: install everything?

On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 14:34 -0800, K. Richard Pixley wrote:
> Jeff Vian wrote:
> > > That's what conflict resolution is there for. Again: it used to work.
> > > It no longer works, because the "install everything and the kitchensink"
> > > option is no longer there.
> > >
> > GOOD
> >
> I'm confused.  Fedora used to be an easy to install, integrated,
> fairly comprehensive operating system distribution.  You're saying
> that you want it to be hard to install, non-integrated, and not
> comprehensive?
>
> What is it that you want from your operating system distribution?

What I *don't* want is the major bloat that used to be in the "install
everything" option.  Every language for man pages, OOo, spelling, etc.
Over 200 packages and way over a gigabyte of drive space lost for things
that I will never in my lifetime use.  Plus the extended update times
needed to update the bloat when there is no reason for it.

What I would like is the ability to have a simple select button within
each of the smaller groups where I can select everything in the group
with a single click.
For example, the database server groups for mysql and postgresql.  Less
than half of each group is selected by default and if I want them all a
single click would be ideal  Similarly with development software. If I
want the whole shebang for perl a single button to select all perl
related packages would be nice. (as it is there is about 40 or so
packages to choose individually)

This would hit a happy medium between the "everything" proposers and the
"minimalist" proposers.  The default could be near minimal, with a very
easy way to choose to get everything I want (which may / may not meet
your definition of everything as well). Those who want the kitchen sink
in their install could simply select everything in _all_ groups, and I
may select everything in only a few groups.