How to start keychain?

After much reading, to try to get a cron job being able to run with ssh, I
found that the best solution for me appears to be to run keychain, with
--clear.  I found the IBM tutorials, which helped a lot, until it came to the
bit about setting up the automatic loading of keychain.  That's when you
realise how out of date the tutorials are.  Parts 1 and 2 were written in
2001 and part 3 in 2002.  Much has changed since then.

Trying to follow the instructions but adapting to what happens now, I put the
following into ~/.bash_profile

/usr/bin/keychain --clear ~/.ssh/id_dsa
source ~/.bashrc

Into ~/.bashrc I put

eval `ssh-agent`			#should that have been changed to 'eval keychain'?

and at the start of the cron job I put

source ~/.keychain/david.lydgate.lan-sh

Then I logged out, and back in.  Keychain did not start.  I ran 'eval
keychain' and the cron job has completed once correctly.

Is it just the eval statement that is wrong, or do I need to change other
things?

Anne