RE: Can't tell if I have been hacked :(

> On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 10:05 -0500, Lovell Mcilwain wrote:
> > Hey guys,
> >
> > Can you give me some input on whether I have been hacked or not?
> >
> > I logged into my machine via ssh and found that I couldn't run any
> > commands and got a input/output error.  I couldn't run the
> who command
> > to see if anyone else was logged into my machine and I
> couldn't check my
> > firestarter log to see if I have been breached.
> >
> > I was able to run an ls -al and found that a lot of my
> permissions had
> > ???? as the owner.  My gnome interface is pretty much
> disappeared and
> > all I see is the background.  I can't shut down this
> machine because the
> > halt and shutdown commands are not recognized (I get the same
> > input/output error)
>
> Sounds more like a hard drive/filesystem error. If you can run dmesg,
> try that and see if you notice any errors in it.
>
> Then I suggest you try booting from a rescue disk to view your logs
> (especially /var/log/messages), fsck, grab important files, etc.

We had that those errors occur on a laptop whose battery ran out of
power while running FC2.  We eventually had to reload the system as
we never could get the permissions straightened out.  You did not say
if it was a laptop or not, so I thought I would mention the possibility.
I am aware that this should not be able to happen on an ext3 file system.
We disconnected the machine from the test equipment and were going to shut
it down when we got interupted, forgot about it, and went to lunch.

Bob Styma