Re: USB hard drive

From: James Wilkinson <fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: USB hard drive
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 13:26:34 +0100

Jim Douglas has been having trouble with his USB drive.

I said:
> Erm -- this looks like it's a device to mount different sorts of media
> (CompactFlash, SD, etc.)

Jim replied:
> It's an IOMEGA 60GB USB external Hard Drive.
>
> I tried sdb, sdc and sdd and it says,
> mount: No medium found.
>
> When I try
> fdisk -l /dev/sdx (I aslo tried sda, sdb, sdc, sdd)
>
> nothing happens, no messages or anything.

OK: the messages don't tie up with what you say the drive is.

Is it possible that you have card readers built into your computer?

Can you reboot without the USB drive attached, and check that these
messages disappear, and that you don't have any /dev/sd* nodes?

Can you list what happens when you plug the hard drive in whilst Linux
is booted?

Can you try the hard drive in another system (a Windows one would help
with debugging)?

> The USB hard drive is FAT32, could that be an issue?

Probably not.

Thanks,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Mike Andrews' Corollary to Murphy's Law:
@westexe.demon.co.uk | In any sufficiently large collection of texts, every
                      | possible misspeeling, as well as some that are not
                      | possible, will occur.

Is it possible that you have card readers built into your computer?

No

Can you reboot without the USB drive attached, and check that these
messages disappear, and that you don't have any /dev/sd* nodes?

the /dev/sa* nodes are still there after disconnecting.

Can you list what happens when you plug the hard drive in whilst Linux
is booted?

Nothing happens when I plug it in.

Can you try the hard drive in another system (a Windows one would help
with debugging)?

No problem on Windows I copied file to the drive.

On the Linux box I am definately plugged into USB 2.0. I have also tried it with an extrnal power supply.

Jim