Re: fc5: install everything?

On Fri March 31 2006 8:42 am, Les Mikesell wrote:
> I don't see how that applies unless you think there won't be
> any future versions or any future changes.  I still think there
> should be a one-click way to install what 'everything' used
> to be. It doesn't really have to be 'everything', but it
> should be what someone who had a part in choosing the
> set of packages on the CD thinks will make a useful and
> complete system for most purposes.   It could be called
> 'complete' instead.  It doesn't have to be everything
> on the CD but then again, if a package doesn't have
> a common use, why is it on the core CDs in the first
> place?  I think most new users would rather take another
> dollar's worth of disk space to never have to deal with
> problems like the vmware modules not building because
> the kernel headers aren't there, or their web application
> not connecting to their database because the php or dbi
> modules aren't there, or some perl app installation pulling
> in CPAN modules when RPMs are available but not installed.

Agreed!
I'll even follow up on that and put an RFE in at bugzilla.
My main intention was to speak to the hyperbole that exists on both sides of
the debate. I enjoy a good polemic, and hyperbole is a useful tool in debate,
employed properly - the kinds of statements I've seen on both sides of the
argument in many of these threads wouldn't get past a 5th grade English
teacher.
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA